Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I'm home!!!

 Warning: this post is going to be long and boring with no pictures!!

I flew into Germany Sunday afternoon and I had a relatively good trip. I woke  up at 3:30am on Saturday morning and headed to the airport with my sister at around 4:30am. My flight left at 7:30am!!! Talk about a start to a long day!!! Once I got through security and headed to get on the plane, it hit me....I was going home and I get to see my husband really soon but I also just said bye to my family. It was the worst and best feeling ever! I had mixed emotions and it was weird!

I got to board the plane early with the "family group" because I was pregnant!!! Once I got on the plane, I was so thankful to get an aisle seat! I usually like the window seat but since being pregnant, I take numerous bathroom trips so I knew it would be best if I could get an aisle seat. My flight was from Dallas to Baltimore and it was about 4 hours long.

Once I got to Baltimore, I immediately got my luggage and found my way to the AMC which is the military flights. Of course it was on the opposite side of the airport and if anyone has ever been to the the Baltimore airport, its huge!!! I did not want to pay $5 for a cart so I decided to carry my purse, backpack, and 2 suitcases. I'm crazy, I know! And probably not the smartest decision I have ever made. I was about 2/3 of the way there and decided I couldn't go any further without a cart. My arms were about to break off!!
I stopped to ask a man if I was going in the right direction to get to the AMC and thankfully I was and then I asked if there was anybody that could help me with my luggage because I am pregnant and not supposed to be carrying this much stuff at once.

Poor guy, he felt so bad! He went and got a cart for me and then wished me well. He was so helpful and later that day, I walked by him again and he asked to see how I was doing and if there was anything he could do for me!

Once I got to the AMC, I was a little confused. There was absolutely NO ONE there!!! It was closed!!! I arrived there at about 1pm and my military flight to Ramstein, Germany didn't leave until 10:30pm (or so I thought). I heard that the AMC doesn't open until 4pm but the airport has an awesome USO that I could go hang out in until then. The USO is for military only and its a big lounge area with a huge tv, internet service, coffee, food, and girl scout cookies!! So I hung out there and got on my computer for awhile and then got me some Subway.

At 4pm, I went back to the AMC to get on the list to fly Space Available. For those of you who don't know what that is, it is where military families can fly for free but they have to fly stand-by. The flights are not guaranteed and if there is room on the plane, then you can fly! Sure enough, the AMC was still closed. Some security guards told me that they actually don't open until 6pm. So, I headed back to the USO with all my luggage (that was on a cart) to wait another 2 hours to pass. I was very tired at this point and just wanted to get home. My sister-in-laws brother and his wife live about 15 minutes from the Baltimore airport so they came up to the airport to see me and see how I was doing. If I wasn't able to catch the flight that night, they were going to let me stay with them! They were SO nice and I am so thankful for them and their generosity!!

At 6pm, I waited in line to put my name on the list. Well, the workers didn't show up until 6:30 (that's the military for ya!). I got my name on the list and the workers told me that the "list" would go up in a couple of hours. The "list" is all the people that are wanting to fly Space Available (aka Space-A). It is just a list that shows you where you are and your chances of catching the flight. Well, there were 53 people in front of me and only 22 seats available. I knew I wasn't catching this flight but I did have a little hope because the workers told me that there are always people that don't show up and more spots would open up. So I prayed and prayed all night long. Seriously. Turns out, the role call is at 10:30pm and the flight doesn't leave until 12:30am. So, I had to wait until 10:30 to see if I could get on this plane or not. When they did the role call, my name was not called but more spots would still open up. A lot of people hadn't showed up yet and they were still waiting for them to show up. At about 11:30pm, almost all of the people on the Space A flight had been called that were in front of me on the list. My heart kept sinking but I kept praying. At this point, I almost gave up. I was so exhausted because I had been awake for 20 hours and all I wanted to do was sleep!

They kept calling names and there might have been 5 people who's name hadn't been called. Then... I heard my glorious name being called!!! I could not believe it!!! And RIGHT after they called my name, they told everyone that the spots had all been filled. Thank you JESUS!!!! He is So good!!!! All I could do is cry and praise Jesus for allowing me to be on that flight. Only He could have made that possible.

I made some great friends that day. They are a family of 4 and they were headed to Germany on vacation. We sat in anticipation all day together! They got on the flight way earlier than me and once I realized I could catch that plane, I saw them and they were so excited! They told me they were praying so hard that I would get on that plane. Made my heart smile!!

Not only did God bless me with getting on the plane, but he also blessed me with another AISLE SEAT!!! AND I got to sit next to a sweet little girl that look like she was about 7 or 8. She slept with her feet on me which I didn't mind at all because she was keeping me warm! I forgot how cold planes are!!! Such a blessing!

As far as the flight goes, it went really well. I actually slept most of the way home and the last hour was the hardest. My feet started swelling and I was just ready to be home. I got up about once an hour to go to the bathroom and just walk around. I was scared I would get blood clots!

Once I landed, some great friends of mine and Bryce's picked me up, the Mimms. They are so sweet! They have really been taking care of me since I have been home. They took me to the commisary to buy groceries so I wouldn't have to carry anything, they unloaded about 7 boxes that I had shipped and they carried them to my apartment, they have fed me dinner every night since I've been back, and they have just been the best of friends. I am so very thankful for them.

As far as Germany goes, it is quite chilly here and I am NOT enjoying it. Today was actually REALLY pretty outside. I think it was about 85 degrees and NO humidity!!!! Texas friends, don't be jealous. I can honestly say that I truelly MISS the Texas heat. I know it was hot but I loved it!! The day I arrived in Germany, it was freezing!! The first thing I did when I got home was turn the heater on and put warm clothes on. Definitely not used to that!! I miss Texas SO MUCH!!!!

I just want to thank everyone so much for praying for me! God definitely heard your prayer and I don't think I would have caught that flight if it wasn't for you!! God tends to amaze me every single day! I am so blessed to have friends and family that care for me and want the best for me so again I say THANK YOU!!!!!

If you made it this far...congrats!! I told you it was a long a boring post!! 

1 comment:

Emily said...

So glad you made it on that flight, God for sure had a hand in making that happen :) Glad you are safe and sound in Germany and you get to see your husband SOON!