Saturday, May 14, 2011

Show us your life: Homeschooling

I am linking up with Kelly's Korner today on Show us your life: Homeschooling.

My mom homeschool my 4 siblings and I all through elementary school. We lived in Denison at the time and my mom was not a fan of their school system so she decided to homeschool us. I absolutely LOVED being homeschooled. Of course I don't really remember a lot about the schooling part of it but I remember that I loved it.

My mom woke us up at a reasonable time every morning and we got busy on our school work. Once we were finished, we had the rest of the day to play. It usually took us about 3 hours to do our school work, from what I remember. Handwriting was definitely my favorite subject.

I dont know the curriculum that my mom used but I know it was Christian based.

Why did you love homeschooling so much?
I loved that I didn't have to go to a school all day long and be around crazy kids! haha!! I was a very shy little girl and didn't like to be around a bunch of people I didn't know. I also liked that our schedule was flexible. If my mom wanted to take us on a field trip one day, she could! Its hard for me to explain all the reasons why I loved it so much but I loved it so much that I would love to homeschool my own kids. (Just gotta talk my husband into it).

Did you have any friends?
Alot of people have the assumption that homeschooled kids don't have friends. I had plenty! I attended a huge church growing up and was always involved in Awanas and Choir and all the other activities that went on. My mom was the childrens director so we were always at church. On Fridays, we attended something called Enrichment Classes. Its held every Friday at a local church and its similar school. The mothers were the teachers and all the kids got to pick several classes to take throughout the day. We went to those same classes for a whole semester. I took a P.E. class, and a Constitution of Independence class (we put on a play at the end of the semester. Super fun!!). I also took a cooking class, and a Jack's class (you know, the game with the bouncy ball and jacks). Those are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head. The classes ranged from Kindergarten all the way up to Seniors in high school. Of course, the older kids took classes that were more challenging.

I also played soccer, basketball, and softball so I had friends from playing sports, along with all my other sisters and brother.

So through all that, I had plenty of friends!

What did you do after homeschooling?
Once my family moved to Sherman, my mom decided to put us in public school. I think once I found out the news, I cried for a month straight. I did NOT want to go to public school!!! Thankfully, my mom put us in the last 6 weeks of my 5th grade school year so we wouldn't be thrown into school for a whole year. At least the last 6 weeks was just enough time to show us what we were getting into! haha. Those were the worst 6 weeks of my life. I hated going to school. At least I had some friends there that I was friends with from church.

Now I look back and am so glad that my mom put us in public school. I was able to be a cheerleader and play softball in high school. My mom decided to get her teaching certificate so she was my Biology teacher and cheerleading coach in high school. ha! Funny how things turn out!

2 comments:

JOHN said...

Don't be confused, Mom was not a single mom, there was a dad around also.

Jake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.